Sunday, October 12, 2008

Christmas is Just Around the Corner...

..And I'm doing something different this year. With a scary economy, I think everyone is rethinking their approach to holiday giving. We give so much stuff to so many who are already living with excess. Our houses are cluttered with things, making it difficult to clean and keep things tidy. I know of some people who rent storage sheds to keep their excess things in. Others of us have closets, basements, attics, garages and sheds filled with things we no longer need or want, but are afraid to get rid of because "we might need it someday" or "Aunt Jane gave me that. She might be offended if I get rid of it."

My husband will testify that I have been on a crusade to de-clutter our home for several years now. It takes awhile to decide what to keep and what to let go of when you have a lifetimes worth of stuff accumulated. But we are making progress.

"So, what does this have to do with Christmas?" you may ask. Well, this is the time of year when 'things' make their way back into our lives in a subtle and seemingly innocent way. We are all big-hearted people who are accustomed to showing affection through gift giving, which usually redounds to 'more stuff' in every household. Stuff that brings delight for a short time, but then ends up in a closet or corner until someone has the courage to get rid of it.

Surely, there is a better way to celebrate the holidays. I will be posting a couple of my ideas of ways this might be accomplished in future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment