Friday, March 30, 2018

Doxy is Done! Crochet Dachshund with Slinky Completed !!!

As promised.....This guy was quite a challenge and took me a while to complete.


I worked from a pattern for most of this project, but it was confusing at times.  The pattern was written in crochet terminology that was in a different language and although I was able to figure out most of it, I had to keep closely focused and ended up taking apart and redoing several portions.

However, I believe the end result is very good!


I tried using a plastic slinky first, but it just did not give him enough support and kept getting all tangled up each time I would try to pose him.   The metal slinky is not as striking as the rainbow colored one in the pattern, but it makes him much more flexible and posable.





I love the armature in the ears and neck.  The ears can be posed in several different ways and the neck has enough stiffness to keep the head up.  The tail is coiled wire with a crocheted ball on the end and can be positioned in various poses as well.

I will say that this 'toy' is not really suitable for a child's plaything though.  The slinky can work it's way out by twisting and the wires do have some ends that could work through the stuffing and possibly poke a child.    If asked to make this for a child, I would have to refuse as I have no idea at this point how to make it child safe.  The pattern shows the finished doxy mounted to a base for display purposes, so I'm assuming that it is not intended to be played with.

All in all, I'm quite satisfied with this project and the winner of the drawing will get this doxy as her reward!  
Enjoy, my friend!  You have provided me with a great learning experience!

Blessings!
Reny

No comments:

Post a Comment