Thursday, October 9, 2008

Mother Teresa

I've just finished reading about Mother Teresa. What an amazing woman. I began thinking of her the other night at work as I walked through the hospital halls and realized how much suffering, loneliness and fear was all around me. I wondered how Mother Teresa could carry the burden of so many poverty stricken, unwanted and unloved people throughout her life. She loved and cared for many who most of us would shudder to even touch. (yes, even us 'angels of mercy'). Yet, even with all her struggles and spiritual battles, she did not give up. She was convinced of her calling and walked in it even when she couldn't feel the presence of the Lord, which, according to Wikipedia, was the last 50 years of her life. But even while feeling empty inside, she was not deterred from what the Lord had set before her.

I wonder how many were comforted by her ministry? How many homeless people were given a place to call home? How many orphans were rescued from the streets? How many were able to die with dignity, receiving love and care until they breathed their last?

I wonder if there are more people like Mother Teresa in the world today? Surely there are. Surely we need them.

1 comment:

  1. I know we need them too! I am sure there are others, who share her calling, who are working quietly as the light and love of God shines upon them. :)

    ReplyDelete