Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Poetry

I've been writing poetry since I was in grade school. Just a little hobby of mine that only a few close friends and family knew about. Here are a couple of poems I wrote in recent years for my children. I have four fabulous sons and one beautiful daughter.

My Son
My son, what will your life be like,
What will your future be?
What untold joys and sorrows wait,
What wonders will you see?

Have I prepared you well enough
To deal with what's ahead?
Have I imparted courage
That will chase away all dread?

Will you be strong in troubled times,
Yet tender in your heart?
When others look to you for help,
Son, will you do your part?

When temptations beckon you
Will honor be your creed?
Will you give up your own desires
To fill another's need?

Will you look at your children
As a blessing from above?
And be to them what they need most,
A father full of love?

I pray your life be kissed by God,
No matter what may come,
And that He'll be your strength and shield
When all is said and done.

I know that seeds of greatness
Have been planted deep in you,
And what the Lord has promised
Is the thing that He will do.

So listen closely for His voice,
And do not fail to hear.
A whispered prayer will move His hand,
For He is always near.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

My Daughter
I remember well the day you arrived,
A tiny, pink bundle of love.
No doubt in my mind as I looked in your face
That you were a gift from above.

You fit in my arms so perfectly then.
You still fit there perfectly now.
I'll cherish and treasure each loving embrace
As long as our Lord will allow.

In watching you grow, and watching you bloom,
I know just what I am to do.
By God's grace and love, for the brief time you're mine,
I'll plant seeds of Jesus in you.

I know that one day you'll be leaving this nest
And the shelter of this 'mother hen'.
God, give me the grace to allow you to fly
As I offer you back to Him.

(Thank you, Jesus, for my wonderful children!)




No comments:

Post a Comment