Sunday, July 17, 2011

Long-Distance Grand-parenting with a new Twist

I was having a conversation with my elderly dad the other day and the subject of long distance relatives came up.  He seemed a bit intrigued that folks these days go to such measures to stay in contact with their children and grandchildren who live many miles away. 

"I don't remember people doing that so much when I was younger,"  he said.  "People would just write a letter once in a while, but you just kind of lost touch."

Well, these days it's much easier to keep in touch with distant relatives than it used to be.  I used to tell my kids that I was as close as the nearest telephone when they were far from home. And now cell phones make long distance calling much less expensive.  But I an totally sold on my little apple ipod with facetime capabilities.  One touch can connect my husband and I face to face with our little grandson in another state in seconds.   We can look at Sammy's booboo's and even blow kisses at him.  He can show us his latest favorite toy, or we can just make funny faces at one another and share some giggle time. There is just something about eye contact that makes all the difference in the world. 

If you have loved ones who live too far away to visit frequently, I highly recommend one of these little treasures.  Actually, it takes two of them, one at each household.  But I deem it one of the best investments we have ever made.  It keeps us connected in a whole new way and now we don't have to feel like  strangers in our grand children's lives.

Thank God for technology!  But lately I've been wondering what it would be like to facetime on the new iPad with it's nice large screen rather than the 2 inch ipod screen.  So, what next?  A hologram of Sammy in our living room?  Or maybe one day we'll just 'beam' on over from one location to another.  Technology is a fascinating thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment