Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Easy Christmas Gifts

So, all these marvelous handmade cards I am now collecting are serving as my packaging for my 'non-clutter Christmas'. Yes folks, at the risk of shocking all you Christmas giving traditionalists, I am giving cash this year. These beautiful cards will be the package and gift wrap for my gifts. And for those who feel the need to have a memento of the gift, the card will serve the purpose. It can be framed, scrap-booked, stashed or just scraped. Whatever suits the recipient is fine with me. They can then use the cash for whatever they would really like to have. No more unwanted and disappointing gifts and no more useless clutter.

And for me, no more giving anxiety. No more searching for the perfect item just to find it in the charity box in a few months. In today's economy, I have no desire to waste my money on something that may or may not be the right thing. And as I grow older, I find that the simple life suits me much better. The chaos of Christmas shopping no longer appeals to me. And I no longer feel the need to do things just because that's the commonly accepted way.

So, call me Scrooge, or the Grinch if you like. Or even rebellious. But I think it's time to live life a little differently. I'm done competing with the 'Jones's".

That said, I do have plans for a wonderful holiday celebration with my family and friends. But that will be another post.

1 comment:

  1. The best part of Christmas for me is the atmosphere, you can't beat that feeling.

    I do enjoy giving presents though and of course receiving them.

    Last year I got my husband a retro sweet jar as a side present because he loves the old fashioned sweets and it brought a smile to his face.

    However this year, like you, i'm thinking of just giving money/vouchers ... it maybe lazy of me to do so but its so much easier and a whole lot less stressful!

    ReplyDelete