Thursday, December 15, 2011

White is NOT My Color

No, I'm not talking about fashion or skin color.  I'm talking about laundry.  White never stays white for very long.  A few washings, and I have a dingy shade of grey, brown or multicolored stains.

 My mom used to have sparkling whites.  My daughter seems to manage to keep her whites sparkling as well.  I used to do the same. But these days I just can't seem to do it.  On laundry day it's all I can do to keep myself from just tossing it all in together.  I do sort lights from darks, but that's about as far as my laundry sorting goes.  I used to wash almost everything in hot water and add a good amount of bleach to the white load.  But it seems that no one washes in hot water anymore and utility prices have caused me to follow suit.  Bleach is hard on clothes and doesn't seem to do what it used to in getting my clothes sparkling white when I do take the time to sort and bleach my whites.

Then there are the emotional issues.  Every time I pull out a stained dish cloth or a dingy pair of white socks I feel like an epic fail.  This is the worst part for me.  I don't know why that should matter after all these years.  It must be because of my upbringing.  Yeah!  That's it.  I'll blame it on Mom!  It's all her fault for doing things right and expecting the same from her daughters. ;-) 

Actually, my mom was an amazing woman!  And she did teach us all excellent housekeeping skills.    I love her and miss her a lot.  So, Mom, in honor of you, I will give it one last shot.  Hot water and bleach for the whites.  If they don't come out sparkling this time, I'm replacing all white items with dark colors.

Blessings!
Reny

No comments:

Post a Comment