Saturday, April 11, 2020

Alpaca Free Crochet Pattern



I love it when a project gone awry  ends up being redeemed!  That was the case with this cute little alpaca amigurumi.

I had a request for a llama nursery lamp.  As usual, I created my own design.  But the first attempt kind of missed the mark as a suitable lamp base.   It was too tall to fit the lamp stand I use and the shape was not quite right.  So that llama went into the  scrap basket for re-evaluation later.





I completed the lamp and it turned out pretty cute.
I think the recipient was well pleased.

So what to do with the failed lamp project?   Well, it didn't take much to turn it into a cute little stuffed llama.  A few well placed stitches and a ribbon make it just what a child would love!


Having posted this pic on my Facebook page,   I received a request for a link to the pattern, which I did not have, since I didn't write it down while making it.  ( I assumed it would be a one time project).

So today  I recreated the project as closely as I could and made notes for the pattern.  The finished ami today is a little different, but really fairly close.  I used a different type of yarn for this one as I was out of Pipsqueak.  I think this one more closely resembles an alpaca.

The ears are oversized intentionally, but can be easily made smaller.


Llama/Alpaca Crochet Pattern

 This guy is worked in the round.  The head is started at the nose and the body is worked bottom up.  I have placed the legs in a sitting position,but they could be placed on the bottom for a standing position.  The ears are oversized on purpose, but if you want smaller ears, just make fewer rounds.

Bernat Pipsqueak Yarn  (main color)
 Polyfil stuffing
G crochet hook (#4)
Worsted weight yarn in contrasting color (for face, etc)
Yarn needle
Safety Eyes   (15mm)
Small amt. black yarn for nose
Ribbon
Crochet Terms:
MC-  magic circle
SC- single crochet
SL ST- slip stitch
Inc- make 2 sc in one st.
Dec.- make one stitch over 2 stitches
F/O- fasten off
**  repeat instructions between asterisks to end of round or number of times indicated.

Head:
With contrasting yarn
 Make 6 sc in a mc
Inc x’s 6  (12)
3-4.  Sc in each st.
5.  *Sc in 1, inc*  (18)
6.  *Sc in 2, inc*  (24)
7.  *Sc in 3, inc*  (30)
8.  Sc in each stitch  (30)
At this point I place the safety eyes between rounds 4 and 5 with about 6 sts in between.  I also stitch on the nose.
9.  Attach pipsqueak or main color yarn.  Sc in each st.  (30)
10-11.   Sc in each st.  (30)
12. * Sc in 3, dec.*  (24)
13-14.  Sc in each stitch
15.  *Sc in 2, dec*  (18)  Stuff body now.
16.  *Sc in 1, dec*  (12)
17.  Dec x’s 6  (6)
F/O leaving a tail to weave through stitches.  Pull tail tight to close hole.  Weave in ends.

Body:
With pipsqueak or main color yarn.   (From bottom up)
 Make 6 sc in a mc. (6)
Inc in ea. st.  (12)
*Sc in 1, inc*  (18)
*Sc in 2, inc*  (24)
*Sc in 3, inc*  (30)
*Sc in 4, inc*  (36)
7-9.  Sc in ea. st.
10.  *Sc in 4, dec*  (30)
11.   Sc in ea. st.  (30)
12.  *Sc in 3, dec*  (24)
13-16.  Sc in ea. st.
17.  *Sc in 2, dec*  (18)
18.  Sc in ea. st.  (18)
19.  *Sc in 1,  dec*  (12)
20-23.  Sc in ea st.  (12)
Stuff firmly or place an armature inside the body and neck to add stability to the neck.  I used a foam curler folded in half.  (See pics)  Stuff around armature.  Stitch head and body together.

Ears:  Make 2
 Make a mc with 4 sc.
*Sc in 1, inc*  (6)
*Sc in 1, inc*  (9)
*Sc in 2, inc*  (12)
*Sc in 3, inc*  (15)
6-10.  Sc in ea st.  
F/O leaving tail to stitch ears to top of head.  I like to sew open end of ears closed by folding flat and stitching before attaching to head.

Arms:  make 2
 Make 6 sc in a mc.  (6)
Inc x’s 6  (12)
3-4.  Sc in ea st.  (12)
5.  Attach main color or pipsqueak and sc in ea st.  (12)
6-12.  Sc in ea st.  (12)    Stuff arms.   F/O leaving a long tail.  
Stitch open ends of arms together and sew arms to body.

Legs:  make 2
 Make 6 sc in a mc.  (6)
Inc x’s 6  (12)
Inc x’s 12  (24)
Sc in ea st  (24)
*Sc 1, dec*  (16)
Sc in ea st  (16)
*Sc in 1, dec*  (11)
Change to main color or pipsqueak.
8-14.  Sc in eas st.  (11)  Stuff legs.
F/O leaving tail to sew legs to body by stitching  around opening.

Your llama/alpaca is finished!  Good job!

Happy Hooking!
Reny

No comments:

Post a Comment