Saturday, February 2, 2019

Crochet a Valentine Wreath! Step by Step Instructions

As promised, this post contains the  secret to making an interchangeable holiday wreath!   Just take a look at this sweet Valentine Wreath!  

As mentioned in my previous post,  (you can find it HERE) the base of this wreath is made from a pool noodle cut the desired length and duct taped together.  The next step is to crochet or knit a rectangle that will cover the noodle.  I stitched the cover over the noodle ring, but I suppose the cover could be made with velcro closures if you want an interchangeable cover.

Wreath with stitched on cover.

I had in  mind something with lovebirds and these cute little  LOVEBIRDS are perfect!  Hop on over and visit Free Crochet Patterns to make these adorable little birds.  I confess to having tweaked the pattern a bit by making the wings a bit longer and adding 'feathers' to the tail.  (3 instead of 1)

Lovebirds added.


Velcro patches.

The birds are secured on the wreath by velcro hot-glued to the bottom of each. 
 I used only the loopy part of the velcro as it sticks very well to the crocheted acrylic cover.
 Next I envisioned a banner of hearts across the upper left of the wreath.  The pattern I used for these hearts can be found HERE.  Attic 24 is also where I got the original idea for this wreath several years ago.    I encourage you to explore her site for many great ideas and free patterns. 





I made 6 hearts from the Attic 24 pattern in 3 different colors.  I then stitched the hearts together and glued velcro to the backs of the end hearts.  Cute! Right?  But something more is needed.



I thought a green vine with some blossoms would add a bit more of color, so I made a thick chain from worsted weight yarn and a #5 crochet hook.   It was a little fussy gluing the velcro to the chain.  I had to be sure the chain wasn't twisted, and to glue enough velcro strips so that the vine could be shaped well.  But I think I got it!


Now, for some flowers and leaves!  I decided some tiny hearts would make
cute little blooms.  I found that pattern HERE.  In retrospect, I could have used this pattern for all the hearts, but had already made the banner hearts by this time.

The leaf pattern can be found HERE.  'Repeat Crafter Me' is another of my favorite blogs.  Check out her blog for a lot of great stuff!

Again, glue velcro to the back of each.


It took me awhile to decide on what more was needed.   Something beneath the birds seemed to be in order.  I thought about a larger puffed heart, but that just seemed like taking the heart theme a bit too far, although it is a Valentine Wreath.  My crafty sister suggested flowers, and I liked that idea. 

If you have ever searched Pinterest for crochet flowers,  you know there are a gazillion pins.  But it didn't take me long to find the perfect pin.  I love the way these roses fit perfectly!  You can find the pattern for these HERE.  I  think I will be visiting  'Skip to my Lou' more often!

Happy Valentine's Day



So, the secret is the velcro!  I know it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out, but just in case it never occurred to you, there it is. 

Next month I will attempt to transform this same basic wreath into a St. Patricks Day wreath.  We will see how that goes.  To make sure you don't miss a single post, sign up for e-mail notifications on the right side-bar!

I hope this blog post will inspire you to get creative, do some stash-busting and make your home reflect the joy of holidays!

Blessings!
Reny















No comments:

Post a Comment