Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Dragons Can Be Intimidating!



                                                                                                        



When I first saw the pics of this dragon pattern on Pinterest, I was both intrigued and intimidated.  He was sooo cute, but looked so detailed.  I wasn't quite sure I could pull this one off.  I mean, I've been crocheting for years, and have even designed a few things myself.   But this guy?  I just didn't know if I wanted to put myself through such a seemingly difficult project.

Yet, every-time I happened across  that pin, I stopped and looked.  Finally, I clicked to the blog featuring this guy and took a closer look.  That didn't help, especially when I saw that the pattern was posted in three different parts!  Good grief!  It must be harder than I even imagined!

There were also video tutorials for the pattern.  Lots of video tutorials.  All for one dragon pattern!  Now I was really convinced it was beyond my skill level!

But this dragon would not turn loose of me!  So a couple of weeks ago I decided to give him a try.  It''s not like I didn't have any other projects to complete.  I was (and still am) working on about 4 different projects when I decided to take this one on.  It wasn't that I was commissioned to make this either.  It just seemed like I had to do it.

So, I searched through my yarn stash for some yarn.  I didn't want this dragon to be too large, so I chose baby weight yarn  and went to work.  I'm not totally sold on the colors I used, but it is what I had on hand.

To my relief and delight, the pattern was well written.   The areas where I needed some clarification were covered in the videos.  I am not usually one to watch videos to make my projects.  Generally a written pattern suits me just fine.  But these videos are so well done!  Every detail is covered and explained beyond question!
I would say that this is an intermediate pattern, but by taking your time and following the steps in the order given, it becomes very doable.  I did take a few liberties with the pattern.  Claws instead of fingers and I changed the eyes a bit.  I had just received a shipment of dragon safety eyes and just couldn't wait to use some.   But he still turned out pretty cute.

Sharon Ojala  is the designer of this awesome pattern.  What a talent!    Thank you to Sharon, for sharing her talent with all of us!  And her videos are superb!  

So go on over to https://www.amigurumitogo.com/ and check out her work!  Make yourself a dragon!

Blessings!
Reny



No comments:

Post a Comment