Thursday, October 18, 2018

Crochet a Pete the Cat Earflap hat for the little ones!

In our family, we love Pete the Cat, the zany, adorable blue cat with the mismatched shoes!   I have made several of these Pete Amigurumi's for family and friends.  Paired with a Pete the Cat storybook they make a wonderful gift for any occasion.

I found this awesome Pete the Cat pattern on Ravelry and it has served me well. 

So as I was pondering what to make my great-grandson for his birthday this year Pete the Cat came to mind.  Since my great-grandson already has the Pete amigurumi,  I decided to make him a Pete earflap beanie to wear this winter.

I found an ordinary beanie pattern on the net.  This is the one I used.  Then I searched for a tutorial for adding the earflaps.  This site gives simple instructions for adding earflaps, as well a pattern for the beanie if you would rather get the whole pattern from one site.





My next step was to make ears and cut felt for the eyes and nose which I stitched on.  I just winged the ears, but I believe you could probably use the ears from the main Pete amigurumi pattern and use a bulky yarn and a larger hook to get larger ears for the beanie.












Finally, I made the ties.  For these I used the shoe pattern from the original pattern and made the ties the same as the leg pattern but decreased the diameter to 6sc around rather than the 9sc the leg called for.  This makes the ties more flexible.   I then stitched the ties to the earflaps.

The end result is this cute Pete the Cat earflap hat.  I hope my great-grandson will love it!


And I hope you will love it as well!

Happy Hooking!
Reny




1 comment:

  1. Hello Reny, I just came across your blog looking for a felt pattern for Pete the Cat. As I hit search, among other pictures, I got a picture of an adorable PTC hat that is absolutely gorgeous. . I also crochet the toy by the Ravelry pattern but had not see a hat before. Thank you for posting it. Clever solution for the ties! I have a little three year old granddaughter who LOVES PTC and who will be happy with such adorable hat as a gift from her grandma. Thank you. Vida

    ReplyDelete