Sunday, October 7, 2018

Oliver the Octopus Crochet Amigurumi Ornament

Well, I'm losing track of the weeks of ornaments I've been making and posting because I wanted to offer my Nativity Play Set pattern.  And since that pattern is quite lengthy, I have seperated it into 4 posts.  If you missed it, just go back to my previous posts and get it.

But today I am back on track with the projects for my Whimsy Christmas Tree.  The whole idea of this tree is to delight my grandchildren when they come by at Christmas this year.

I had in mind to make a cute little octopus.  I've seen quite a few on Pinterest, but wanted to design one of my own.  This pattern is so simple and cute!  I made my in black, but you could use any color you want.

  I do love the way the blue eyes show up on the black!  If you don't have safety eyes, you could  cut a couple of circles of felt and add a smaller circle of black for pupils and sew them on.  You could also add a little red smile and maybe even a whimsical little tuft of hair to the top of his head by looping in short strands of yarn.   The finished size of this fellow is approximately 2 1/2 inches tall and wide.


Here is the pattern.  Enjoy!

Oliver the Octopus 


This little octopus is a  quick and easy project that would be suitable as a Christmas ornament, a halloween favor, a stocking stuffer or just part of your child favorite collection of sea creatures!

He can be made up in very little time and the design is quite simple.

Materials:  
Worsted weight yarn
G crochet hook
12.5mm or larger safety eyes
Polyfil stuffing

Abbreviations and Crochet terms:
Magic circle- mc
Single crochet- sc
Slip stitch- slst
Increase- inc
Decrease- dec
Chain- ch


Head:
1. Make 6 sc in a mc.
2. Inc x’s 6  (12)
3. *Sc in 1, inc*  (18)
4. *Sc in 2, inc*  (24)
5. *Sc in 3 inc*  (30)
6. *Sc in 4, inc*  (36)
7. Sc in each st.  (36)
8. *Sc in 4, dec.*  (30)
9. *Sc in 3, dec*  (24)
10. *Sc in 2, dec*  (18)
11-13  Sc in each st.  (18)

Place eyes between rounds 10 and 11  2 stitches apart.

Tentacles:  Make 8
Chain 13 leaving a 2 inch tail at beginning of chain.  Make slst in 2nd ch. from hook and each remaining chain.  Fasten off leaving a 2 inch tail.

Fasten tentacles around bottom edge of Oliver by pulling tails through the stitches from outside to inside and tie tails together securely to attach.  Be sure to space the tentacles evenly around and be sure the tails, as you pull them through, straddle a stitch in order to secure them.  Hide tails inside the octopus.  Stuff octopus firmly.

Bottom:
1.  Make 6 sc in a magic circle.
2. Inc x’s 6  (12)
3. *Sc in 1, inc*  (18) 
Sc bottom of octopus and bottom disk together to close octopus and provide a flat surface for him to sit on.

Congratulations!  Your octopus is finished!

Blessings!
Reny

No comments:

Post a Comment