Sunday, March 29, 2020

Sensory Cube Review...

Almost everyone I know has a loved one with sensory needs, whether they are impacted by autism spectrum disorder,  ADD/ADHD, SPD or a number of other developmental disabilities or delays.  These children seek and crave any number of tactile and spatial stimuli.  They tend to be very intelligent, super creative and have lots of curiosity.

That's what makes this 'Sensory Cube' so perfect for any child, but especially for those with sensory issues.
The cube is rather large for small infants, but has a nice carry handle.  Each side of the cube is a 6"X 6" square panel.   Each side features a different dimensional 'applique'.  Each is a different color.  The rings on the handle are made to slide.  A carrot and cloud dangle are attached to opposing corners at the top and I filled these two items with 'crackle' material.

Some of the sides were a bit fussy and time consuming, like the tree.  Each leaf is crocheted individually and then attached to the tree trunk as it is made.  I changed this a bit by doing the trunk separately and sewing it to the panel and then attaching the leaves one at a time to the panel. 




Each flower was also crocheted separately and then attached to the panel.



The cube is assembled after all the square panels are completed.  Although it is not called for, I lined the inside of the cube with plastic canvas squares to help define the shape.   I then filled the cube with polyfill and finished it off.  

The single crochet stitching attaching the panels together adds a nice contrast to all the colors and textures, defining each panel.  I added a cute face to the cloud.  This could be added to the sun and/or apple panels as well.



All in all, it took me about two weeks to complete this project.    I probably worked on it for about an hour each day.

The stitches are easy and the directions are clear.  Except for the repetition of the flowers and leaves, I found the whole project to be quite enjoyable!  

If I make another one, I think I will try to downsize it a bit and try some different appliques' that are not so fussy to complete.  I think one featuring jungle or farm animals would be cute.   Also different yarn textures would be neat, especially for things added to the finished panels.

I considered adding a musical component to the inside of the cube, but with the current coronavirus situation, decided it was not a good time to try to find just the right component.  Perhaps my next block will have some delightful chimes or a rattle inside.

If you would like to make one of these, you can find the free pattern here.   I highly recommend!   Crochet Sensory Cube

Enjoy!
Blessings!
Reny



No comments:

Post a Comment