Sunday, November 11, 2018

Crochet Bowser Inspired Earflap Hat

My grandson loves Bowser, so I am trying to make him some Bowser inspired gifts this Christmas.

I've seen a lot of cute character hats to crochet, but finding a Bowser hat that I liked was only semi-successful.  I found a picture on Pinterest that was very close to what I wanted to make, but no pattern, and the Etsy listing for the hat was no longer available.


So I did what any resourceful granny would do.  I improvised!   Having just finished this Bowser amigurumi, I had a pretty good idea of the shapes I needed to make to pull this project off.  So I got to work.

First I found a simple pattern for a cute earflap hat.  The link for that free pattern can be found at Micah Makes.  I made this hat in dark green and finished it except for the ties. 






Next to add the features.   I decided to start with the horns.  (Clarification.  11/8/2021)  Repeat all instructions until you reach the end of the round.  Your final stitch count on each round should match the number in the ( ).

1.  Make 4 sc in a magic circle
2.  *Sc in 1, inc*  (6)
3.  Sc in each st.  (6)
4.  *Sc in 1, inc*  (9)
5.  Sc in each st.
6.  *Sc in 1, inc.*  (13)
7.-8.   Sc in each st.
9.  Dec.  Sc in  remaining sts.  (12)
10.  *Sc in 1, inc.*  (18)
11.  *Sc in 5, inc.*  (21)
12.  Sc in each st.  Fasten off leaving tail.  Stuff and stitch to hat.

Horn ring:  make 2
1.  Chain 21.  Sc in 2nd ch from hook and each additional chain.   Ch. 1 and turn (20)
2-3  Sc in ea. st. Ch. 1 and turn.
Fold in half lengthwise and sew into a tube.  Wrap around base of horn and stitch ends together.  Secure to horn base with a few stitches.


Next I  made the hair.  Make 5 or more and stitch to top of head.

1.  Make 4 sc in a magic circle.
2.  *Sc 1, inc.*  (6)
3.  *Sc in 1, inc*  (9)
4.   Sc in each st.  (9)
5.  *Sc in 2, inc. *  (12)
6.  Sc in each st.   (12)
7.  *Sc in 3, inc*  (15)
8-9  Sc in each st.  (15)
10.  *Sc in 4, inc*  (18)
11.  Sc in each st.
12.  *Sc in 2, inc*  (24)
13-16  Sc in each st.  Fasten off leaving tail.  Do not stuff.














The snout took me a couple of tries.

Large center disk:
1.  Make 6 sc in a mc.
2  Inc x's 6  (12)
3.  *Sc in 1, inc*  (18)
4.  *Sc in 2, inc*  (24)
5.  *Sc in 3, inc*  (30)
6.  Sc in each st.  (30)
7.  *Sc in 3, dec*  (24)
8.  *Sc in 2, dec*  (18)
Fasten off and stuff.  Set aside for now.

Smaller side disks:  Make 2.
1.  Make 6 sc in a mc.
2  Inc x's 6  (12)
3.  *Sc in 1, inc*  (18)
4.  *Sc in 2, inc*  (24)
5.  Sc in ea. st.   (24)
6.  *Sc in 2, de*  (18)
7.  *Sc in 1, dec*  (12)
Fasten off and stuff.

Now stitch smaller disks to large disk with large disk slightly overlapping the small ones.    Then stitch this assembled snout to front of hat about 1 or 2 rows from edge.  Take 2 long stitches on front of snout for nostrils and attach 2 triangles of felt for teeth to bottom of small disks.

Side tubes:  Make 2
1.  Chain 17,  sc in 2nd ch from hook and each additional chain. Ch 1 and turn.  (16)
2.-4   Sc in each st.  Ch. 1 and turn. (16)
Fold this piece in half lengthwise and stitch into a tube shape.    Sew to side of snout at bottom of hat.

Side balls:  Make 2
1.  Make 6 sc in a mc.
2  Inc x's 6  (12)
3.  *Sc in 1, inc*  (18)
4.  Sc in each st.
5.  *Sc in 1, dec*  (12)
6.  Stuff and dec till closed.
Sew to end of tube.

For the eyes I cut felt into the long triangular shape, added  small bit of black felt and stitched the eyes about 2 rows above snout.

Eyebrows:  Make 2
1.  Make 6 sc in a mc.
2.  Inc x's 6  (12) 
2-5  Sc in ea. st. 
6.  *Sc in 2, dec* (8)
7-20  Sc in each st.
Fasten off.   Flatten and form around felt eye and sew into place.

For the ties I used this video.



Congrats!  You're done!

And that's how you make a true Bowser fan happy!

Blessings and Happy Hooking!
Reny



8 comments:

  1. Hi! I just wanted to thank you for posting this pattern. My 8 year old loves Super Mario games and really wanted to be Dry Bowser for Halloween. I found your post and changed the colours and modified the hair slightly, and it turned out perfect! I have a very happy kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! My 8 year old loves Super Mario games and really wanted to be Dry Bowser for Halloween. I found your pattern and changed the colours, modified the hair a bit, and it came out great! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you even look at this page anymore, but I desperately want to make this for my son, but I don't understand the pattern. What is SC in 1, inc????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! What I mean is this.....Single crochet in 1 single crochet and increase (make 2 single crochet stitches) in the next single crochet. Repeat this to the end of the round. I'm sorry I didn't make this more clear. I can understand how it may be confusing. Hope that helps!
    Reny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a lot for sharing this beautiful pattern my son fell in love with his hat I wish I can posta picture to show

    ReplyDelete
  6. What size crochet hook did you use please?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this pattern! It was just perfect and the hat came out great 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there an adult version floating around? :D

    ReplyDelete