Thursday, November 29, 2018

Crochet a Character Christmas! Pokemon, Mario, Minecraft inspired gifts.

Of all the things I crochet for my kids and grandkids, the game characters are the most popular.  I have made quite a few character softies, beanies and earflap hats.  If you are having trouble knowing what your littles  might like, look at the video games and TV shows that they are so captivated by.

My latest project is a Pikachu earflap hat for my grand-daughter.  I finished this hat within two days of intermittent crochet using my favorite earflap hat pattern from Micah Makes.  The pattern embraces a whole range of sizes from infant to adult.

I made the ears, eyes, etc. by looking at a pic and free-handing them.  Since this was not my first Pikachu hat, I had a bit of an advantage.  I was familiar with how to shape the ears.  The rest of the face is simple circles and a triangle sewn on.  The mouth is just embroidered on.  The instructions for the Twisted Ties  were found on Youtube. 





This Captain America hat also took about two days.  The most difficult thing on this hat was the wings.  For more information on how I pulled this one together, see this blog post.




This creeper is the one thing I thought would be a breeze, but it took longer than I expected and I did a lot of 'frogging'.  (Needle craft jargon for ripping out.)   Finally, I got him the way I think he is supposed to look.  I'm really not sure since I haven't actually seen anything but pics of this guy.  (Don't tell my grandson, please.)





This Bowser earflap hat took several days.  The facial features had to be redone several times before I got him to look just menacing enough with out being too scary.   You can find details about this hat here.



Of all the things I have made for Christmas this year, this Bowser was the most difficult and time consuming.   I counted over 100 components when I began to assemble this guy.  Hope my Paul will love it enough to warrant all the work!  You can read all about this adventure here.





 I have several Pokemon enthusiasts in my family and these Pokeball beanies were just perfect for them as the fall weather turned to winter.  These are easily completed within a few hours.



Last, but not least, I crocheted this Pete the Cat inspired earflap beanie for my great-grandson's birthday.  I am told he loves it!



So, if you are still wondering what to whip up for your little ones for Christmas or any other occasion, consider these options.  A little yarn, a little time and you can present them with something very special!

Hope this gives you a little inspiration. 

Thanks for stopping in to read my blog.
Blessings!
Reny

No comments:

Post a Comment